Sunday, September 10, 2017

Vermont and New Hampshire

These two beautiful states gave me some of the best cycling adventure on this trip.

I crossed over from New York to Vermont by ferry to the very peaceful Grand Isle. Cyclists everywhere. Crossing this island calmed me down (see NY post). As I reached the southern tip of the island, knowing that I am about to catch another ferry, I was surprised to find that it is a special one.




There is a bike trail going from the island to the mainland with a short break to let the marine traffic some room to cross. Hence the ferry.


The next thing I run into is the Cross Vermont trail. It started on the road, but soon lead me onto a 100km off road trail with single paths (narrow paths that allow for one bicycle at a time) and double paths. The second day it rained which added to the excitement as the roots of the trees became slippery, so one needs to use one's technical abilities to overcome the obstacles.

Along the way, the initial signs of fall are to be seen. Red and orange leaves on some trees and on the path.








Without any change in scenery, I slide into New Hampshire. The continuation of the trail, once a train railway, takes me higher into the White Mountain National Forest. The entire climb, spanning over two days, it rained. A few times the rain was too heavy, forcing me to take refuge (in diners....). This was a wonderful experience. Just the thought of cycling the whole day in rain made me happy.

Finally, I reached the the high point. It is not an impressive height, such as Big Bear, the Rockies or Big horn, but it was the highest point on the eastern section of my trip, 580 meters / 1900 ft, the last uphill and the beginning of the end of my trip.




No comments:

Post a Comment