Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Zooming through Illinois and Indiana

It took me three days to get from one side of Illinois to the other with hardly any time on a highway. So far, this state had the best bicycle paths since the beginning of my trip. Some where on gravel, some on paved trails, some single path (width suitable for one bicycle) some double width paths.

It started with a trail alongside the Mississippi and then on the banks of a series of canals beginning just outside Moline (on the Illinois side of the Quad Cities) all the way, with minor interruptions using local town roads, all the way to Indiana.






The first day, rainstorms were predicted. I made it to the shelter of the state park near Wyanet in time to avoid the storm.


Just before arriving to Hobart, Indiana, I met Matt, a cyclist from Chicago, originally from Shanghai, who was on his first day of a week's touring cycle around lake Michigan. He continued on the trail while I headed for food.


With it's old fashioned movie theater, its pride in Lafayette and their good food, Hobart was the first sign of changes to come.




I was making my way to Michigan, yet still in Indiana. The trail ran alongside a nice, warm watered lake. I took a break for swimming. Glorious!




I reached lake Michigan and ran into Matt again. We cycled together and crossed over to Michigan. More about this interesting young man in my next post.








No comments:

Post a Comment