Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Iowa

Although there is not much to say about it, Iowa is a special place for me. I spent three years here from 1982 to 1985 as a student. I have dear friends here with whom I have been spending the past two days and will see them the next two days too.

So when I left Omaha and headed into Iowa, there was this familiar feeling as if I was back home. The countryside, the farms and barns, the corn.


One cannot ignore the corn in Iowa. It is everywhere


But Iowa is not only corn. I love the barns too. They have a special feeling to them.


And also the birth place of John Wayne, Winterset.



This feeling of being welcome was enhanced when I got to Delta (my previous post). And from Delta I was racing to get to the Quad Cities. I found another 'Rails To Trails' trail

and finally got to the Quad Cities:




First stop was Ed. He has been my close friend for some 35 years! It was so nice to see him and Terry in their beautiful home. The following evening they hosted me for dinner. It was an Iowa dinner. Steak, baked potato and corn. 


 Terry and Ed


I then got home! Yes, my home for three years at my host and dear friend John. 


My bedroom that has remained exactly as I left it 32 years ago:



John loves his cars. He has had a number of sports cars and now he has a thunderbird. So here it is:


More on this visit once I am back on the saddle.



No comments:

Post a Comment