Friday, September 15, 2017

Maine and the Atlantic coast

Once I hit the high point in New Hampshire, all that was left to do, was to get to the coast at Portland, Maine. That should have been easy. The rain has stopped, it is all down hill, only that it was not that easy. But first things first.


The towns along the way have a charm that New Hampshire knows how to boast.

Suddenly, this huge red dump truck honks at me followed by the driver calling out my name (here is the report as published on facebook:

Back in the 1980's I met the Goddard family in Israel. They were there, building Uvda air field as part of the peace process between Israel and Egypt. They had me over for three months on my way to college in Iowa.

I hoped to see Bill Goddard and Cindy Goddard Snow, but that did not work out. I also planned to contact Bob Goddard and he suggested he'd drive over to a location near his home when I think I am close enough. 

Cycling today, in New Hampshire, I think it was the town of Glen, I hear a lorry (dump truck), honking and the driver yelling at me. I thought he was trying to warn me about something. I didn't feel or see anything wrong but he was persistent. Then I heard "DAVID, DAVID". It was Bobby, yes Bob Goddard!!!!

I did not recognize him at first. Out of context, I guess. "It is Bob". Boom! Other than a beard, he has not changed. Bob was always a man who works with his hands and operates equipment. So it was no surprise to see him on this truck. 

He recognized me by my bicycle. He saw pictures and put one and one together.

We spoke for a few minutes. He had to get back to work.

With this as the 'high' of the day, I push on, starting to seek for a place to sleep.

I cross over to Maine:


 It took a few extra hours, but finally I found a campground.

The next day, I reached Portland and the Atlantic ocean:


AND THAT WAS IT. THAT WAS THE MOMENT I FELT THAT MY MISSION HAS BEEN COMPLETED.

It was now just a matter of time and a couple of hundred kilometers to the airport.
I had to slow down since my flight was booked for November 14th. I did get to see the beautiful Atlantic coast and its charming towns. I knew that "it ain't over 'till it's over", but still it felt different from everything that came to be prior to that point.
There will be one more post, once I get home, summarizing this amazing trip and major event in my life.

















No comments:

Post a Comment