Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Hill City, South Dakota

The name fits. I cycled in from Wyoming mostly uphill and about half the distance on a dirt road. The downhill portion turned out to be hills. Not a real downhill experience for a cyclist...

But I am running ahead of myself. The night before, I found a field outside an abandoned home on the corner of a highway and a country road. The sky was covered with black clouds, lightning and thunder all around. I got into my tent and waited. The wind picked up and the tent walls were being tested by the gales. I woke up a couple of hours later. Complete silence. A daunting silence. But there was no rain and the clouds were blown away.

Next morning I headed to Hill City. The clouds followed me, I guess. I made it to Dan's Harney Park Inn. Dan had no vacancy but is such an hospitable gentleman. While he was finding me an alternative and then going to pick up Angela, I sat and talked to this charming couple, Julié and Cameron.  Both Greek Orthodox (see Julié, God does work in mysterious ways...- an inside joke). We discussed their beleifs and my non beleifs. I felt as if I have known them forever. It was comfortable as being with old friends.

Then I had a flat tire... All pitched in to help me fix it. I had a good night's sleep.






4 comments:

  1. It was a real pleasure spending time with you in Hill City. Safe travels as you meander your way across the US and Canada. We really enjoyed the brief time we had together and the comfortable feeling is mutual, Cameron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. If you ever visit israel, you have a tour guide :)

      Delete
    2. איזה כייף ביום ד פגישת צוות

      Delete