Sunday, July 30, 2017

Nebraska, part 2.

There is not much to tell about Nebraska. I crossed to central time zone and that was probably the sign for trees to pop up.

There is a project "Rails to trails" which originally I was thinking to take back in Washington State but plans changed. Here in Nebraska the project took an old rail and transformed it into a trail open also to cyclists.



I like the fact that every trail I saw along the way, including this one, have out houses scattered along the way.

I met a young couple, in their twenties Casey and Mattie. It was interesting to hear a younger generation's outlook on what's going on in the U.S.

The trail itself, The Cowboy Trail, is a great idea since it keeps one off the highway. However, pouring loose gravel on many sections makes it hard to use. So I used the highway on and off. But, I got to met Ray, on a cross country from Seattle to D.C. We spent a couple of days running into each other and set up camp together.

Ray mentioned something about getting water from the windmill while I was getting water from the hydrants. It turns out that the wells in Nebraska are sitting on top of a major aquifer. The water for the farmers here is free. The cost are the pumps and sprinkler systems that use fuel, gas or electricity. The windmills use the wind to crank the pump. So the hydrants I was using have an electric pump (and found in campgrounds, gardens and parks) while the windmills are in the grazing areas typically for the cows.



While Ray continued on, I was 'held back' by a nice group who invited me to join them tubing. It was a Sunday. Unlike the freezing water in the mountains, spring water is cold, but bearable. So we tubed and a few drinks. They went home, I set up camp.

I keep forgetting that I am in farmer-land...

And the bible belt

And in hunter's land too. I stopped for food at a small dinner. Just the owners and me. He's back in the kitchen preparing my meal while she is telling me all about the new bow she got from her father. It is the new type, with a set of rollers which reduce the amount of power one needs to pull on the sting from 40lbs to 20lb. She hunts deer. I will no go into the details. This is what I think a bow and arrow should face.



I am headed to Omaha. The road is pretty.



But, it is time to rest. I found an hotel that has room names instead of numbers. I'm in the


Across the hall is the Sundance Kid, John Wayne, Billy the kid and others.

Next morning headed to the Missouri.







2 comments:

  1. It was wonderful meeting you David. I'm glad your trip went well!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Trip was great. I met wonderful people of all ages. You guys where the first young couple that I met and gave me another view on American life. Take care, regards to Mattie.

    ReplyDelete