Monday, June 5, 2017

Going north west instead of east and the north. Great adventure!

So the snow stopped me leaving Yosemite park to the east.
I decided on the shortest path to Weed, ca. Google maps cycling option took me on an amazing trip.
First day, no pictures, but a guy comes over and asks: "is zis a bamboo bike"? We switched to Hebrew. Turns out that he knows the major players in the Israel Bikepacking scene. What a small planet we live on.
Today, the route took me to Felix. Blink and you miss it. I didn't and met Lou. Lou some 45 years ago, cycled to Guatemala. He had to stop me to share and exchange stories.

Then, I ride this narrow road

And what a surprise it was to see, first this homage to great woman ( and my reflection)

I push on, and then this historic school house

What else was awaiting? It has been so good so far. The road seemed to have been repaved further on, so I wanted to be sure that I am still on the right track:

Fred Pereira
Fred's heritage is Portuguese, the Azores to be exact. We spoke about history, the beauty of America and the places I have seen and yet to see. I was about to continue, but Fred wanted to show me his old car collection. I am not savvy on these matters, so I forgot a few of the names, but 2 models T by Ford (1925, 1926). The first had a fuel tank below the seat, so driving uphill made the tank lower than the engine. The only way uphill would be by backing up the ascent....The following year they put the tank above the engine (either way, safety was not their main concern, I guess). There were two Chevrolet cars from the same years, a ford model A, and a few more (one with a body made of wood). Most cars are in running condition, fixed and look brand new. In the back, you may see the two helicopters (well, just use your imagination, they are there too).



No comments:

Post a Comment